This page contains all of the information you should need for race day.
Please also download the Race Pack with all necessary info and check our FAQ and Facebook page if you want to know more.
The meeting point, registration, and race briefing for all distances is at Carlow Town Hall.
Ultra-Marathon (60km): The Ultra-Marathon will have a slight route change this year. The race starts in Carlow Town Park and proceeds along the banks of the River Barrow for 57km. This will take runners to the beautiful and unspoiled St Mullins with a short loop back to Graiguenamanagh. We feel this is one of the most stunning parts of the route; you should enjoy the out and back immensely. There will be 6 aid stations/checkpoints.
Marathon (43km): The classic Barrow Valley Marathon route starts in Carlow Town Park and meanders pleasantly along the River Barrow to finish 42.2km away in Graiguenamanagh. There are 4 aid stations/checkpoints along the route.
Half-Marathon (21.1km):The Half-Marathon starts south of Bagenalstown, Co. Carlow. Note: The meeting point and registration is Carlow Town Hall. From there, buses will take runners to the race start (20 minutes). There is minimal parking available at the Half-Marathon start point. There will be 2 aid stations/checkpoints.
SCHEDULE FOR THE DAY
- 07:00 - 08:00 at Carlow Town Hall. Ultra registration, mandatory gear check, optional bag drop (transferred to race finish).
- 08:15 Mandatory Ultra Race Briefing
- 08:30 Ultra-Marathon Race Start!
- 08:00 - 09:30 at Carlow Town Hall. Marathon registration, mandatory gear check, optional bag drop (to race finish).
- 09:45 Mandatory Marathon Race Briefing.
- 10:00 Full-Marathon Race Start!
- 09:30 - 11:00 at Carlow Town Hall. Half-Marathon registration, optional bag drop (transferred to race finish).
- 11:15 Mandatory Half-Marathon Race Briefing and bus transfer to race start at Fenniscourt Lock.
- 12:00 Half-Marathon Race Start!
- 13:00 ONWARDS at Scouts Den Graiguenamanagh.
- Tea, coffee, refreshments, snacks, sandwiches and cakes will be available for all finishers.
- Drop-bag collection will be available at the finish.
- Prize giving for the winners of each event.
Download the Maps to look at the route.
DETAILS ON BUSES
We have arranged buses to transport runners from the finish at Graiguenamanagh back to the race registration at Carlow Town Hall. This transport is included in the race entry fee.
Half-Marathon Athletes will be transferred by bus from Carlow Town Hall to the race start South of Bagenalstown as part of the race fee.
For safety reasons, the following mandatory kit must be carried by all Ultra-Marathon and Full Marathon participants. The kit is intended to safeguard participants in the event of emergency or incident. The event is a self sufficient race, so all participants will be required to orienteer themselves and manage their hydration and nutrition between checkpoints. It should be possible to carry all of the mandatory kit in a modest sized waist or back pack.
There will be random spot checks. Participants who do not have the mandatory kit will be asked to retire.
- Suitable Running/Walking Footwear. Please refer to the weather when considering underfoot conditions/running shoes.
- Hydration system (bottle or pack).
- Minimum 400ml fluids and 2 energy bars or equivalent.
- Fully charged phone (water-proofed, with emergency Race HQ number saved).
- Race number visible at all times.
- A lightweight, waterproof piece of warm clothing (recommended).
- Please note, subject to local weather conditions and Met Eireann forecasts, we may require participants to carry additional items of clothing including; gloves, hat and long tights (waterproofed).
We look forward to seeing you on Race Day!